886 11th Street

Ray House
886 11th Street, Arcata, CA

Year Built: 

1889
Victorian Architecture c. 1885-1900

Built in 1889 for Arcata's "jolly dentist", Dr. C.B. Ray, the house is a decorated version of the hipped-roof box paired, pediment-topped bays. Eastlake oranamentation on the cornice, windows and bays make a fancy house out of an otherwise plain form such as the one at 1361 J. Street. Conversion of the house to a duplex in 1924 removed the central entrance, replacing it with two doors and two small windows. At the rear of the property is what remains of a water tower, built in 1898. The tank and windmill are gone from the structure which once had counterparts throughtout the community, when every house had its own well.