The Knights of Pythia's North Star Encampment, a national fraternal organization that stressed charitable work, erected this imposing castle in 1885, at a time when lodges and churches substantially filled the need for social activities outside the home.
Visualize, for a moment, a large, two story building of pediments, pilasters, arched windows with diamond panes, columns and roof balustrades. That was "Arcata's Pride," her town hall and fraternal lodge, built in 1896 and demolished by the City in 1971.
Hailed by the Arcata Union as the "first substantial improvement on this side of the square in thirty years," Bull's Meat Market opened in its new building in December 1905. The model meat market was described in the December 23, 1905 edition of the Arcata Union: