1651 J. Street

Sorenson House
1651 J. Street, Arcata, CA

Year Built: 

1902
Victorian Architecture c. 1885-1900

Henry Sorenson was the original owner. A Denmark native, Mr. Sorenson came to Humboldt County as a boy and grew up near Blocksburg. He graduated from Eureka Business College and worked in the Dixon's Store in Loleta until 1902. That year he moved to Arcata and opened a "Satisfactory Store" known as Sorenson and Matzen. The house was built for him by his father-in-law, Jasper Reed, and his brother, Ben Sorenson. It has been called the "house of triangles", referring to its triangle pediments, dormer and windows.